This setup seems to work well--perhaps it could be added to the rsync
FAQ page as Method 2b.  The only annoyance is that one might still get
two indistinguishable "Password:" prompts; could someone tell me how to
configure SSH so the prompt reveals the target

Well, actually, I get "Password: " prompts when a ssh into linux machines and "user (at) hostname's password: " when I log into OpenBSD. I have not been able to find any option to configure the prompt in man pages ssh_config and sshd_config, so I would assume that it is an implementation issue.

The OpenBSD machine has OpenSSH_4.1 and GNU/Linux has OpenSSH_3.9, so maybe the introduced it between those versions. I really think it is nice that it tells the hostname so perhaps we can ask the OpenSSH guys. There is a Usenet newsgroup comp.security.ssh and a mailing list secureshell@securityfocus.com

If I have time in the following weeks, I will ask them (unless someone is really curious about this and is willing to ask soon).

Cheers,

        Manuel.

______________________________________________ Renovamos el Correo Yahoo! Nuevos servicios, más seguridad http://correo.yahoo.es