I am sorry, the rsync algorithm needs to execute rsync on the server. Since ftp does not allow executing remote programs (as ssh does), even if there exists a rsync executable installed in the server and you have permission to execute it, using ftp you cannot execute it. So your command won't work and it will never be because it is impossible to implement it by the very differences of what rsync does (executing a remote rsync program) and how ftp works (just download files).

I hope my answer was clear to you.

Cheers,
        Manuel.

Marten Lehmann wrote:
Hello,

from a server where neither a rsync daemon nor ssh is running I'm trying to backup the whole data with ftp. So my idea was to call rsync like this:

rsync -v -a 'ftp://1.2.3.4/' my_folder

But this gives me:

ftp: unknown host
ftp: unknown host
ftp: Unknown host
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Doesn't rsync handle ftp://?

Regards
Marten