Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:25:10 +0200, paul+rsync wrote:
> You may also want to look at csync2 http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/
> for keeping the copies synchronised, it's perhaps better suited than
> rsync where you have such a large collection of files where there are
> not that many updates going on (i.e. the searching for updates takes
> significantly longer than transferring those updates).

Thanks for the link!

Reading the documentation I got the impression that for larger
setups (with millions of files) one should use the inotify API
for filling the hint database (see page 6 of the csync2 paper).
Using this inotify idea would also allow more efficient syncing
with an rsync script.

Has anybody explored and documented this idea, with csync2 or rsync?

Sven