Harry Putnam wrote:
I must be seriously misunderstanding the man page coverage of
--compre-dest.  My take was that if a file  in compare-dest=dir
matches a file in SOURCE/ then it won't be transferred to DEST/.

I tried this test. (d1 has single files and 2 subdir with files)

   cp -a d1 d1a

   mkdir d2

rsync -avv --compare-dest="./d1a" d1/ d2/

d1a is carbon copy of d1 but still every last file in d1 is copied to
d2.

If you specify DIR as a relative link, it will be taken as relative to destination dir. That's probably the culprit here.

mkdir d2
cp -a d1 d2/d1a
rsync -avv --compare-dest="./d1a" d1/ d2/

...should do the thing. Or just specify DIR as absolute.