I'm wondering if I can use link-dest to compare rsync to a remote directory.

rsync -aCHh --stats --link-dest=akane::backup/ranma.daily.1 / myserver::akane/ranma.daily.0

Something like that? Is it going to work like it does when doing a local rsync with a local link-dest directory? Is it going to chew massive amounts of bandwidth? Is there something else I should be doing instead?

I have actually tried this command, but it's been building a file list for a very long time now. The data is only (only!!) about 12GB.

(What I want is to have several 'versions' of the current machine backed-up to a second machine)

--
A ship should not ride on a single anchor,
nor life on a single hope