David,

I haven't found any other file systems that directly support HFS meta data... however, you mentioned in your post trying the "mount a NAS based sparse file" approach but that it was unreliable. Honestly, I'd fix whatever on your network is making this unreliable - I use this method extensively and haven't had any issues with it. I currently back up over 100 MACs with various forms of NAS mounts, sparse files, ditto, asr, and rsync. I might have a couple failures a year running nightly backups, and honestly even when I've unmounted a sparse file dirty, its never resulted in data loss... if I were you I'd head back towards that strategy and make it work.

henri wrote:
Hi David,

I am also interested to know if anyone has found a file system which will store Mac OS X meta data. In the mean time, I would suggest that you back up to another Mac OS X machine with a pull backup strategy.

--
Regards,