Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
On 11.08.2009 21:04, Larry Alkoff wrote:
Man rsync says that
"If you need to transfer a filename that contains whitespace, you'll need to either escape the whitespace in a way that the remote shell will understand, or use wildcards in place of the spaces.".

I am regularly doing backups with rsync and notice that files names with a space in them copy properly, without any special escape or other characters.

Is this a change in rsync?
Is the warning in the man page no longer needed?

I will say that my 'filenames' with spaces are mostly (if not all) directory names so perhaps rsync knows to handle directory names better
than file names.

It only refers to white-spaces directly in the commandline, nothing
else.

You to "protect" things like this:
rsync <whatever> "source dir/" "target dir/" (Local, nothing special)

rsync <whatever> "source dir/" "destination:target\ dir/" (Remote space has to be
"protected")
or
rsync <whatever> --protect-args "source dir/" "destination:target dir/"
(Same as before, but rsync does the protecting itself)
Bis denn

Hello Matthias

Thanks very much for your concise and crystal clear explanation.

"It only refers to white-spaces directly in the commandline, nothing else."

So it is written, so shall it be.

Larryalk