When rsync 3.0.6 copies files with HFS+ File Compression, the new extended attribute decmpfs is not preserved, and the UF_COMPRESSED flag is not set on the destination and the destination file is not compressed.

I examined the destination file as described in ars technica (with ls and xattr from a 10.5 Leopard boot), and the compressed data is moved from the resource fork to the data fork, and the extended attributes '@' are removed from the file.

As far as I know, only ditto in 10.6 can handle HFS+ File Compression. (I even tested a 'clone' with disk utility (file copy, not block), and it also failed (block copy, of course works).