On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Matt McCutchen wrote:

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 22:33 -0400, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
But the flip side is that rsync is not a security tool. MD5 is fine for rsync for the same reason SHA-1 (which, as with all hashes, will eventually be "broken") is fine for git:

This gets a little off topic, but I /do/ want git to use a collision-resistant hash function. I would like to be able to fetch from others without giving them a free pass to poison my repository. I believe that was the original intended semantic of the "fetch" operation; it's only now eroding as SHA-1 gets studied. But the risk isn't great enough to goad me into action yet.

Shoot. I left out the link that was the whole point: it's Linus explaining why SHA-1 is fine (because security happens at a higher level):

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2006/8/28/211065

(Boils down to the two points I paraphrased -- but the upshot is that hash collision != free pass to poison)

--
Best,
Ben