> Having built and tested 3.0.7 and ready to send it out into production, can
> anybody point me to 'best practices' for updating the binary and man pages
> and other issues around upgrading from the dodgy v2.6.9 that ships with
> late-10.4-thru-10.7?

You could use /usr/local/bin as the install location for the rsync binary and
then update your environment variable accordingly. This is just one possible
approach.

> Not having replaced an OSX tool in the past, I've got no idea if Apple is
> prone to update these utils, or just 'fix' what I've done automatically
> during routine checks and system upgrades. Any experiences would be
> appreciated.

If you replace the binary then it is possible that an Apple would overwrite
your files.

Despite this message not directly answering your questions, hopefully you find
some of the information I have provided useful / informative.