On 12/4/2013 4:01 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:

Thanks Linda... I was initially planning on using cp for this, but someone on the gentoo list convinced me that rsync was better (not sure why now)...
----
cp didn't support ACL's and xattrs about 3-4 years ago. rsync was maybe the 2nd large util that did (star was the first, but it doesn't seems as popular today)...

or "star" would be better.
If you have other things mounted on /usr
For the purpose you are stating, copying all of /usr using "cp"

Nothing else mounted on/under /usr...

But... what exactly is meant by the -x switch ('stay on same filesystem')?
----
If you had a separate /usr/share, for example, when it got to 'share',
the "-x" wouldn't follow that onto the mounted file system.

The reason I mentioned remounting is that a mount can hide files (if you
mount a fs on top of a non-empty directory)... these are all "gotchas", most of
which it sounds like you don't need to worry about.

FWIW, I'm talking about the "cp" from coreutils -- you can check the manpage
and -a = --preserve=all, and under all it mentions context, links, xattrs, in
addition to ownership/timestamps...etc.

Currently /usr is on a reiserfs formatted LVM partition, and / is ext3 on a regular partition on a hardware RAID mirrored pair...
----

I've never used reiserfs, but I don't see any red flags, either....

For a one time copy... 'cp' should work fine...

Also ... copy it from /usr->/usr.tmp -- that way you don't need to take down your system until the copy is done -- when done. boot into single user or a rescue disk
and rename /usr.tmp ->/usr (and fix fstab to not mount the separate /usr)...

Good luck!