As an aside to this, part of the problem I've been having is the transfer
timing out/getting interrupted during a particular large file (1G, new file,
2-3 hours if it works).

So I've been experimenting with --partial and --partial-dir=.rsync-partial
which weren't working. It appears to work at first - if the transfer is
interrupted, the partial file is correctly saved in the named directory.
Then if I run the script again, it deletes the partial file before starting
again.

I found that I needed to also specify --delete-delay to avoid deleting the
partial file before it's used.

Is this "known", because it isn't implied (as I read it) by the --partial-dir
section in the man page ?