Hello list

I've been running the following command, first in fc20 and then now (since the beginning of March) in fc26: now=$(date +"%Y%m%d-%H%M"); sudo rsync -ahuAESX -vi /home/ /run/media/readlegal/Backup/home > /run/media/readlegal/Backup/rsync-changes_$now

Since the move to fc26, this command has caused the complete freeze/crash of the system. I tried it under multi-user non-graphic mode in case it was something to do with new graphics systems (don't know why). The output of the above always stops at:
sending incremental file list
.d..t...... Music/FLACs/Various_Artists/Temple_Sampler/
>f+++++++++ Music/FLACs/Various_Artists/Temple_Sampler/13-brian_mcneill-the_butterfly_chain.flac

(total 183 bytes file size, always)

By complete freeze/crash I mean:
* hard-drive light indicates spinning, but no noise (activity)
* unable to ssh in
* unable to ping
* in multi-user text, I'm first able to switch to another login console, but then unable to progress past the login password; after switching to other consoles, the original login screen attempt has gone blank other than a blinking cursor top left * in graphic mode, there's no (inter)activity whatsoever possible - though screen has desktop on it
* the only apparent solution is a hard reset

The external drive is a WD 750GB hard-drive in a StarTech.com external hard-drive caddy connected via eSATA cable to an old Dell Vostro 3500.

Any help or suggestions debugging this would be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Morgan.