On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Keller, Eric wrote:

Hi everybody,

I did seek for an answer on your mailing list archive, but did not get a
concrete answer concerning the problem I am witnessing with rsyslog and power
failure.
Here are more info:

rsyslog version: 5.8.5

it happens sporadically that our syslog log file does contain only few system
logs like kernel logs but not any of our logs!
We isolated the problem down and could only reproduce the problem by producing
a hard shutdown (hitting the power button)

rsyslog buffers logs in memory, and it does not force a fsync after every log message is written. As a result, when you do a hard shutdown logs will be lost. There are parameters to tweak this, but it has a very significant effect on the rate that rsyslog can process log messages (in the most paranoid mode where zero log messages would be lost, you can drop from ~400K logs/sec down to ~50 logs/sec if you don't have a high-end disk setup)

When starting up, we noticed that the rsyslogd is running despite no lock was created in the /tmp/.rsyslog-lock Another consequence is that our /home/roche/share/log/syslog does not log any of our project traces.

this sounds like there is something else that's starting rsyslog, other than the scripts you are showing below.

David Lang

Killing rsyslogd and starting it again will start to log our project entries
into the syslog!

Does someone out there encountered the same problems? Do someone have an idea
why this happens?
Does someone sees a misconfiguration ? Or should I start the rsyslogd in
another way?

here are the configuration files: note: there are no additional configuration
files in the /home/roche/etc/rsyslog.d/

------------------------------------
rsyslog.conf-----------------------------------------------------------
# Begin /etc/rsyslog.conf

$ModLoad immark # provides --MARK-- message capability $ModLoad imuxsock #
provides support for local system logging (e.g. via logger command) $ModLoad
imklog # provides kernel logging support (previously done by rklogd)

daemon.* -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
user.* -/var/log/user.log

# Use traditional timestamp format.
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

$EscapeControlCharactersOnReceive off

$template RocheSysLog,"%programname% %msg%\n"

#
# Include all config files in /home/roche/etc/rsyslog.d/ # $IncludeConfig
/home/roche/etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf

# allow reading for all users
$FileCreateMode 0644

*.* /home/roche/share/log/syslog

# and disable reading again
$FileCreateMode 0640

# End /etc/rsyslog.conf
------------------------------------ !
rsyslog.conf-----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------ /etc/init.d/rsyslogd
#!/bin/sh
#
# rsyslog server
#

PREFIX="rsyslog: "
THISFILE=$0
PIDFILE="/tmp/.rsyslog-lock"

usage() {
        echo "${PREFIX}usage: $THISFILE [start|stop]"
}

case $1 in

        start)
                echo "${PREFIX} starting"
                if [ -e "$PIDFILE" ]; then
                        echo "${PREFIX} another rsyslog server seems to be running,
aborting"
                        exit 1
                else
                        /usr/sbin/rsyslogd -c5 -f /etc/rsyslog.conf -i $PIDFILE -n
2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null &
                fi
                ;;

        stop)
                echo "${PREFIX} stopping"
                if [ ! -e "$PIDFILE" ]; then
                        echo "${PREFIX} there seems to be no server running"
                        exit 1
                fi
                kill `cat $PIDFILE`
                rm -f $PIDFILE