Hi everyone

I've just started investigating centralised logging and I'm gradually building
up a plan of action.

I'd like to store the logs on a central server running logstash/ElasticSearch
so they can be searched and monitored using Kibana. With rsyslog sending the
logs over the network to a logstash server. I don't want to run logstash as the
log "sender" on each server, I'd prefer to keep the servers (log "clients") as
lean and simple possible. So that means either using syslog, syslog-ng or the
one I'm testing now, rsyslog.

1) Should I have rsyslog sending to logstash over the network? Or should I be
running another rsyslog on the collector server, which then sends to logstash
for processing?

For Apache, I would like to have separate vhost log files on the web server, in
addition to these logs being sent to a remote log collector.

I've tested rsyslog using the imfile module to watch each Apache log files, but
this means I have to hard-code each vhost log file into my rsyslog.conf. This
is not ideal as people will invariably forget when they add/remove sites on the
server.

2) What's the best way to log to both vhost-specific log files on the web
server and to send these logs over the network, without using imfile and
manually watching tens of individual log files?
Get Apache to log to rsyslog, then have rsyslog split the log to both a file
and over the network to logstash?
Are there big performance implications for logging both locally and over the
network?

I could change my Apache config to log to a single access/error log for all
vhosts, then watch these main log files with imfile. So long as rsyslog is then
able to produce vhost-specific log files somewhere on the web server machine.

Any comments/suggestions?
I am sure others have had a similar need. I just don't want to ditch local log
files until we fully know how well the centralised log server performs.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Ben