On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Radu Gheorghe wrote:

Thanks, Mihael! I'm not familiar with all this, but shouldn't the
autoconfigure thing add that flag? I mean, I've never encountered this
error since I'm using omelasticsearch.

Another issue is that sometimes rsyslog takes about 5 minutes to stop. Here
are some reproducing steps that always trigger the issue for me:
 - take a clean Ubuntu Server 12.04 x86_64
 - add the Adiscon repository
 - apt-get update; apt-get install rsyslog
 - /etc/init.d/rsyslog restart
 ---> now you wait

I've had this with other rsyslog 7.x packages, not only the one from
Adiscon. I've tried to look deeper into this, by starting rsyslog in debug
mode. If you send SIGTERM then, it works.

But the issue only seems reproducible once some traffic has gone through
rsyslog. So I start it again in debug, and send a log (`logger test`). And
I *always* get a segfault:

7062.191833198:7fbc35cd7700: --------imuxsock calling select, active file
descriptors (max 3): 3
7065.584970167:7fbc35cd7700: Message from UNIX socket: #3
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I thought there was something fancy with the config, but I get the same
with this:
# cat /etc/rsyslog.conf
$ModLoad imuxsock
*.* /var/log/syslog

Please let me know if you need any info or help from me for fixing these.

typically rsyslog taking a long time to stop happens when you have disk queue files enabled and/or have it configured to write out all pending logs when you tell it to exit.

I am careful not to have anything like this, and I have log servers processing 10's of thousands of logs/sec that stop basically instantly.