Hello everyone,

I'm running into a strange problem with some new RHEL 6 servers I've built. I can go for days without anything appearing to get logged (to any file/remote server), but then when I restart rsyslog via the provided initscripts, logs magically appear! Obviously there's some sort of buffering happening, but where/how? If anyone is familiar with this, and could point me to the relevant spot in the docs, I'd be grateful.

We're running a pretty bare-bones config (comments removed):

$ModLoad imuxsock.so
$ModLoad imklog.so
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                                 *
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.*;cron.none @@loghost.unet.brandeis.edu

The initscript calls rsyslog as:
/sbin/rsyslogd -i /var/run/syslogd.pid -c5

I'm running things in debug mode right now, and will post the debug logs once I read through them a bit.

John
--
John Miller
Systems Engineer