From: rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com
[mailto:rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com] On Behalf Of Otis Gospodnetic
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:47 AM
To: rsyslog-users
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] People insight?

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM, David Lang <da...@lang.hm> wrote:

> The adiscon repo is _the_ authoritative repo.
>
> The github repo is the office repo on github

Ah, interesting.... that is not at all how I understood that "OFFICIAL rsyslog
repository on github" on https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog . But maybe you are
right, maybe Rainer really phrased it like this in order to say "this is THE
rsyslog repo *on Github*, all other rsyslog repos you see on Github and
probably forks of this repo".  And the "on Github" part implies that this is
the official rsyslog repo *ONLY* on Github and there are actually other
non-Github repos.... and if so, I don't quite get why.
 Sure, I get the fear of Github disappearing, but while Github is here,
wouldn't it be simpler to just think of that repo as THE official repo?
 Please see below.

> If github goes away, it doesn't take _the_ master repo with it.

Right, because the Adiscon one is in sync, or at least that's my understanding.
So if that is the case, isn't this Adiscon repo simply "Adiscon's insurance" in
case Github disappears and not something Rsyslog contributors really need to
know (or be confused by)?

Please read Rainer's blog post on the issue of why he doesn't want to be
> dependent on github or any other third party.

Is there really a dependency is the repo on Github is *the* official repo if
the Adiscon repo is synced to it?

> It's very possible that there will end up being another official repo
> on a github competitor if that competitor becomes popular enough.

Another official repo created by Rainer?  Would be a little confusing and
needless IMHO, but I may be missing something.

Thanks,
Otis