what sort of throughput can you get from logstash getting netflow logs and delivering them to rsyslog?

David Lang

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014, Mike Hoskins (michoski) wrote:

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:58:03 +0000
From: "Mike Hoskins (michoski)" <micho...@cisco.com>
To: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] Off-Topic: rsyslog-like equivalent for NetFlow?

Logstash setup itself is straightforward (their docs are great), and I can
attach the full config referenced below + patterns file specific to Cisco,
minus my IPs and rabbitmq passwords of course...if that's helpful.  ;-)
Nothing too exotic really.

Right now I've got netflow in each colo going through logstash -> rabbitmq
<- central rabbitmq -> elasticsearch -> kibana to make infosec happy.  The
bulk of the work is on es/kibana side to make pretty dashboards people
like, though they can tweak quite a bit themselves.

I actually use rsyslog for an entirely different use case (high volume
application logs), but was thinking the above could be
modified...inserting rsyslog in the middle so you could output/archive to
flat file as well as es.  That way people who prefer traditional methods
like grep aren't left in the cold.  Elasticsearch is amazing, but this
would give users a choice of interface.