ok I may be looking at this incorrectly, from other posts on the
mailing lists, and responses, rsyslog does not really look at
/etc/hosts?

from some of the responses that I am reading I see that it may depend
on the distro

the gethostname()  I guess determines the localhost

so the question is this:

I am filtering with hostname contains "myownmadeupname"  then omfile
to /path/to/log

what I am running into is that rsyslog is resolving hostnames from
what it seems to be my main dns server which would not work for my
current scenario of custom "contains" parameters.

if I disable dns lookups with the -x option I dont seem to getting any
logs at all.

So I think I may be confusing myself..?

any input will be appreciated

Robert