Hi Nick,

There's queue.discardmark and queue.discardseverity which helps keep queue
sizes in check.

Other than that, I guess it's best to monitor queue sizes with impstats and
do alerting and actions with your monitoring system. For example
Nagios/Shinken can give you those things.

WARNING! Opinion ahead! :)

I think embedding alerting functionality in rsyslog would be out of its
scope. For example, threshold-based alerts are often criticized for being
too rigid, so monitoring systems tend to add different algorithms to detect
anomalies. One example from our product SPM:
http://blog.sematext.com/2013/10/15/introducing-algolerts-anomaly-detection-alerts/

That's why I believe alerts and actions are best done outside rsyslog. Even
the current discard action, for example, could have a REST API that would
allow something external to say "start discarding" and "stop discarding" in
a more dynamic way than rsyslog currently can.

But this just my opinion. If someone would embed alerting functionality in
rsyslog, I would definitely welcome it. I'm just suggesting that this
effort may be better invested elsewhere. For example, in exposing API for
external stuff to control what rsyslog does, and let each tool do what it
does best.

Best regards,
Radu