After reviewing more of the SQL logs ... it's seems more than just a little odd.

On a cycle, rsyslogd writes maybe 100 rows to the database as a single connection. After that connect/insert 100/disconnect, it goes into a cycle connecting/inserting 1 row/disconnecting - but it's the same SQL for a few hundred records. Almost as if it isn't looking at the new syslog message that comes into the system and it's using a cache - and this is even though writing to flat files works just as expected.

Jacob