On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Assaf Gordon wrote:

A quick follow-up to the line-length limitations:

1. Most loggers are indeed limited (hard-coded) to 1024 bytes, but only when using the syslog(3) call.

2. When using UDP servers or Unix sockets, the limitation is worse: 400 bytes for the message (This is related, I assume, to the inherit limit of 576 bytes per atomic UDP datagram).

huh??? I've sent much larger logs via UDP without a problem, and /dev/log is a Unix socket, so if this was true then logger would be limited to 400 bytes.

David Lang

Nathan Brown published a modified "mlogger" with bigger limits:
 http://lists.adiscon.net/pipermail/rsyslog/2014-February/036208.html
 https://github.com/nbrownus/mlogger

But this program is also limited when using unix-sockets (which is what I'm using).

I've sent PR ( https://github.com/nbrownus/mlogger/pull/2 ) which enlarges the buffer size for the unix-socket case.

With this patch, I can send messages (logger->unix socket->rsyslogd->relp) of 4KB and above as a single line.

Hope this helps,
-gordon