On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Anwar El fatayri <
anwar.fata...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey all,
> I wrote a script that creates a generic rsyslog configuration files in
> rsyslog.d for all my machines. I have one problem with my log files
> permissions. This is the permissions config file that my script generates
> /etc/rsyslog.d/zz-002-permissions.log :
> $FileGroup jboss-as-logs$umask 0000$FileCreateMode 0640
>
> The problem is that these files are included in rsyslog.conf before
> creating the systems log files (like /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure
> ...) and i really don't want to change this file (---> Linux best
> practices).
> I tried to reset all configuration variables to their default value using
> &ResetConfigVariables but that doesn't work. It actually resets
> FileCreateMode to 0644 for example.

well, that's rsyslog default for this setting. I guess the distro has
changed that via a directive.

> Any ideas ??
> I want to be able to delete /var/log/messages for example and then restart
> rsyslog and have root as the owner and the group of this file with its
> native permissions (0600). Is this possible with rsyslog or do i need to
> change permissions manually ??

so why not either do the other changes after the standard files OR reset
the manually to the values that you want? It looks like you know what they
are.

Rainer

Thanks in advance