Rainer - for zeromq we break things up into previous stable releases, and
then the "master" of the git repo.  We don't allow breaking changes on
master - so I tend to develop against master and even use snapshots of git
master in production projects.  It was a bit anxiety inducing at first but
really, it's caused very few problems and bugs are found almost immediately
unless they are really nasty ones. It's been working well.