> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
>

>>> +1 for a time-based release approach.
>>>

>> I am not sure if David and you talked about the same thing. If I
>> understood
>> David correctly (please correct me if I am wrong), he says that we release
>> versions (88 to avoid confusion with existing versions), e.g. 88.6.1,
>> 88.6.2, 88.6.3, 88.6.x whenever they are ready. However, every 6 month we
>> would begin a new series, e.g. 88.7.1. From then on, only 88.7 is updated.
>>

> I'm actually thinking of the kernel model
>
> every X months release 88.7, 88.8, 88.9, etc. If there are bugfixes that
> need to go out between the X month releases, they become 88.7.1 88.7.2 etc.
> 3-6 months seems to work fairly well for individual projects. In between
> people can just compile from the master. I don't think we have enough
> testing participation to go the -rcX route.
>
> If there is a major (risky) change, it would justify an 89 release, but
> that would end up being something like a re-write of the queue model or
> other very intrusive (and therefor risky) change, not the ongoing features,
> modules, performance optimizations.

mmhh... isn't that -except for the timing- what we do with the current
-devel/-stable just in other terms? I agree that terms are important but
should we than name the master branch releases as stable and the monthly as
"old stable". Also, I have the impression that with the kernel almost
everyone uses the bi-annually releases (in our words the -stable) and not
the master.

If I am not wrong, that model would probably result in the same problem,
that is I develop new things in master branch, but everyone begins to
"test" them when it is rolled into the bi-annually releases.

Am I overlooking something here?

Rainer