I'm in favor of the process being as simple as possible.  The more work and
thought that has to be put into dealing with pull requests, the more likely
either work will get slowed down, or someone will make a mistake.

I feel like if I want to squash, etc I can just do that on branches on my
own fork, and then send the cleaned up version back to you.  I don't feel
like you should have to deal with squashing my commits.  I also don't have
a problem personally with seeing the merge messages.