Hi,

On 2014-11-06 08:10, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
>> Well, you can run the mysql test suite against any mysql server. It is
>> independent from source. So that's not the best example at all...
>
> Don't you then need root (or similar) credentials to do some very delicate
> database operations like creating databases and tables? I wouldn't permit
> this to be done to my production server.

That's why I asked for running the test suite in a 'sandbox'.

>> Well, finally I installed valgrind and had to re-install glibc with
>> debugging symbols (another error the test suite logged but did not detect).
>
> why did you need the debugging symbols?

In Gentoo imdiag is currently only available when compiling with "debug"
USE flag. This will also enable "--enable-valgrind"..

The error message logged in the "udp-msgreduc-vg" log file was something
like

> valgrind:  Fatal error at startup: a function redirection
> valgrind:  which is mandatory for this platform-tool combination
> valgrind:  cannot be set up.  Details of the redirection are:
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  [...]
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  Possible fixes: (1, short term): install glibc's debuginfo
> valgrind:  package on this machine.  (2, longer term): ask the packagers
> valgrind:  for your Linux distribution to please in future ship a non-
> valgrind:  stripped ld.so (or whatever the dynamic linker .so is called)
> valgrind:  that exports the above-named function using the standard
> valgrind:  calling conventions for this platform.
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  Cannot continue -- exiting now.  Sorry.

> But let me be clear. From this thread, it looks like these should be our
> project priorities:
>
> 1. make the testbench fully automatic and self-contained
> 2. create unit tests
> 3. create more and better integration tests
> 4. document
> 5. fix bugs
> 6. develop new features
>
> Given the fact that I am I and not a big team like at MySQL, I don't
> believe this is the right order of priorities.
>
> In reality, it is me alone doing >95% of all work, and funding for this
> work is almost solely by Adiscon (and only partially backed by paying
> customers).

Asking this question shows me that you understand my point. Great! ;)

Yes, I am voting for changing the priority order like you said.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that you MUST change anything. I am
only answering the question "If you could change something in the
project, what would you change?" ... and I would change the priority to
improve the current project quality using automatic tests.

-Thomas