> Today I noticed a ruleset with only "stop" as it's action will fail to
> parse with rsyslog 8.4, but the same rule with a "~" will pass.
>
> ruleset(name="testme") {
>     *.* ~
> }
>
> bknox@seriamau:~$ rsyslogd -N1 -f ./test.conf
> rsyslogd: version 8.5.0, config validation run (level 1), master config
> ./test.conf
> rsyslogd: warning: ~ action is deprecated, consider using the 'stop'
> statement instead [try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2307 ]
>

> Changing to "stop" :
> ruleset(name="testme") {
>     stop
> }
>
> bknox@seriamau:~$ rsyslogd -N1 -f ./test.conf
> rsyslogd: version 8.5.0, config validation run (level 1), master config
> ./test.conf
> rsyslogd: CONFIG ERROR: there are no active actions configured. Inputs will
> run, but no output whatsoever is created. [try
> http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2103
> ]
> rsyslogd: run failed with error -2103 (see rsyslog.h or try
> http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2103 to learn what that number means)
>
> I have a situation where rules are being generated via templates in chef,
> and having a rule that just discards messages would actually be a useful
> thing to have, and ran into this.
>
> So my question is, should a rule that only calls a discard action be
> valid?  If so, is this a bug in the config parser?

It's a little bit complex. The thing is that "~" actually *is* an action,
whereas "stop" is a statement. When I wrote that checking code, I never
envisioned that an empty ruleset could be useful for any case (if there is
just a "stop" inside it, it's practically empty, in that it simply does
nothing). I think in most cases this really is a config error. Maybe I
could add an "permitEmpty" parameter to the ruleset, which will then not
emit that error message.

To understand the whole picture: why do you need these empty rulesets?

Rainer

Brian