Installed via Adiscon PPA running on Ubuntu 12.04.5. Using the default
rsyslog config provided by Ubuntu or our own configs for a second logger we
use for following application logs, both fail to startup via Upstart or
running manually.

The error output is:

rsyslogd: error writing pid file
rsyslogd: run failed with error -3000 (see rsyslog.h or try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/3000 to learn what that number means)

More debug logging with the full command to (hopefully) reproduce is
available here:
https://gist.github.com/masteinhauser/e7abcf594d77de64544c

Please let me know what other information or steps I can try to debug as I
am unable to figure out the next step troubleshooting.

Best,
-Myles