side-note on how to carry on: I have seen check the link to the original
contribution (I admit I totally overlooked it at that time). It did not
have an explicit license, which is a bit problematic. Some folks would say
this means it default back to the project license, which then would mean
GPLv3, which would cause problems with our move to ASL 2.0.

Here is what I have on my mind on how to solve and be able to merge: I hope
I can commit tomorrow. I could then

1. pick from your code what is missing in mine
2. apply it under your your commit --author
3. and finally update to copyright in the header comment to reflect both us

Would that work for you? In step 1 there is a problem if I run into code
that stems back to the original contribution, which, if so, I can not merge
do to licensing. I hope that won't be the case.

If you like, you can of course create a PR based on my commit tomorrow, you
just need to make sure that all code that is added is originally written by
you or under some license that is OK with ASL 2.0 (like the BSD 2-clause
from librdkafka).

What would work for you?

Rainer