Hmm, I think it still isn't working

if re_match($fromhost-ip, '^1\\.1\\.195\\.\d+') then {

rsyslogd: version 8.12.0, config validation run (level 1), master config
/etc/rsyslog.conf
rsyslogd: error during parsing file /etc/rsyslog.d/30-remote.conf, on or
before line 13: invalid character ''' in expression - is there an invalid
escape sequence somewhere? [v8.12.0 try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
[...]
before line 13: syntax error on token '131' [v8.12.0 try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
rsyslogd: CONFIG ERROR: could not interpret master config file
'/etc/rsyslog.conf'. [v8.12.0 try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]

while

if re_match($fromhost-ip, '^1.1.195.*') then {

seems to work, it just isn't as specific as I'd like.  And if . is matching
like a regex . it could get all kinds of false matches.