That sounds as if your LVS server is dropping the connections, possibly because they are idle for too long.

What I suggest is that you add something like

logger -t vmststat vmstat 60

to your machines so that they log at least one log per minute (to keep things like firewalls and LVS from timing out the connection), and I think you'll find it's useful data to have in the system

If you use clusterlabs.org for your failover instead of a pair of LVS servers (which use clusterlabs.org for their failover) you will not have the timeout problems that you are having with LVS.

I still think trying to bake cluster awareness into the senders is the wrong thing to do, the senders cannot possibly coordinate to avoid overload on active-active clusters, or to pick the 'same' system when you want active-passive clusters.

There are a lot of things that only can be done in rsyslog, clustering is not one of them. Rsyslog has better cluster support than nxlog and logstash (I don't know about syslog-ng, haven't had to try with it yet :-) it just takes using the right tool for the job rather than expecting the loging softwre to do it all.

remember the unix approach, do one thing and do it well, assemble systems from tools that take this approach.

Clustering is rather complex topic. A great book on the topic is "In Search of Clusters"

David Lang