So for some reason I'm completely stumped on what I feel like should be
fairly simple. I grok rulesets for local files but am having trouble
wrapping my head around forwarding anything more restricted than all the
logs from a rsyslog gateway between a third party vendor and our internal
log clients.

The gateway should be forwarding the logs forwarded to it only. If there is
a way to include in the scope using multirulesets the rsyslog process log
in addition to the forwards that's be awesome so that there is some kind of
monitoring for the gateway but again, meshing rules for local files and
remote sources is confusing.

Anybody who can help?

All the best!
Jon