Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:24:11 +0000
From: Tim Mori via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
To: "rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com" <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Cc: Tim Mori <tim.m...@sas.com>
Subject: [rsyslog] drop messages without timestamp

I’m trying to work out a problem with the logs from our ESX servers. It seems for one of the logs, the message can overrun some maximum and it dumps the remaining part of the message on to the next line. This is a problem because these message fragments break the organization set via dynafile and of course they don’t parse.

The only thing I can really match on is that the fragment doesn’t lead with a timestamp.

I’m wondering if there’s any easy way to drop this message. In writing this out, I’m not sure basing it on timestamp would be the best idea as some messages may not immediately start with one. I’m not sure I can use a variable like timestamp as a condition though.

Tim Mori
SAS Solutions OnDemand
Systems Engineer ▪ Tel: + 1 919 531 1774 ▪ tim.m...@sas.com<mailto:tim.m...@sas.com>
100 SAS Campus Drive ▪ Cary ▪ NC ▪ 27513-2414
www.sas.com<http://www.sas.com>