On 10/18/2017 1:36 PM, David Lang wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017, deoren wrote:
Since the sender and receiver in this are both the latest versions of rsyslog (with the plan for the setup to remain that way), can I scale the accepted message size values to properly accommodate non-standard message sizes (delivered via JSON payloads)?

up to 128K should not be a problem, I believe that to scale the message size >128K you need to change a setting in the source.

Do you have experience delivering messages that large? I wonder whether I'm going about this the right way.

I wasn't using relp, but I did see logs hit 128k and get truncated a few times.

Do you use it now? If not, is it because it lacks a feature you need?

large maxmessagesize leads to wasted memory in rsyslog, but nothing more severe than that.

Thanks for confirming. I'll likely go ahead and increase that value to 128K to see if the problem goes away.

The particular box I'm having trouble with runs a Redmine instance that is heavily used and has lots of activity within its production log and development log files (large entries). I'd like to deliver entire log entries instead of truncated versions if possible.

how large are the lines?

At present, the development log file has a line with a length of 2997 characters and the production.log file has a line with a length of 8608 characters.

those are quite reasonable

I checked again and found a single line of 24405 characters. I've not yet checked back through historical log files to see what some of the longer lines were.

if your maxmessagesize was 64k, that should not have been a problem.

Acknowledged. Do you know if all inputs honor the global() maxmessagesize value, or only certain ones? Does that value need to be specified using the legacy configuration syntax?