The current documentation[1] mentions that 8K is the default value for the maxmessagesize global parameter.

The documentation[2] for imrelp mentions that the 'MaxDataSize' parameter defaults to the global message size, though it isn't 100% clear to me whether that is referring to the maxmessagesize global parameter.

I suspect that the RELP limits will be better documented once the bugs noted here[3] and here[4] are worked out. I have asked for clarification re the link between those two parameters (imrelp's MaxDataSize and global() maxMessageSize) and plan to offer a PR for doc updates once that clarification is given.

[1] http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/rainerscript/global.html

[2] http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/modules/imrelp.html

[3] https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/1741

[4] https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/1782