I've been attempting to use the re_extract() function quite a bit lately to write some simple "filters" for notification purposes. I struggled with the syntax for a while until I realized tha the and have been struggling quite a bit with the regex support for the re_extract() function. According to the http://www.rsyslog.com/regex/ page (and the re_extract function doc), Rsyslog uses POSIX ERE and "optionally" BRE expressions.

* Does anyone have a good guide or reference for the syntax needed?
* How do you switch the regex type from ERE to BRE? At at glance it appears that the BRE format is more cumbersome, so I want to make sure that I don't unintentionally switch that mode on somehow.

I found the differences between the two briefly described on this page:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Regular_Expressions/POSIX-Extended_Regular_Expressions

Does Rsyslog have complete support for ERE expressions? In other words, if I find a guide which covers ERE thoroughly, is that sufficient or are there gaps in rsyslog's support for the ERE syntax that I should be aware of?

Thanks.