unfortunantly, under systemd, rsyslog cannot take over /dev/log, journald takes that.

did you post your config (if so, I missed it), are you using imjournal to read the messages from journald

the other question is what are you doing to check if the message is in /var/log/messages? if you have a very low traffic volume, it's possible that some messages can be in transit (rsyslog has issued the write, but the OS has not yet processed it to get the logs in the file so other processes can see them).

to see if this is your problem, send rsyslog a HUP and see if that gets the messages flushed to where you can see them

what version of rsyslog are you using?