b) problems in mechanisms for which there was no convenient check to find otherwise.

c) problems resulting from "logical misbehaviour" - when a service seems to work but returns a wrong result

Of course it's best implemented in conjunction with simpler technical checks for various steps along the way so it's easier to come up with the answer not only _what_ doesn't work but also _why_ because the longer the "workchain" is, the harder it is of course to pinpoint the cause in case of malfunction if you have only the final error.

On 11/01/2021 12:04, Adam Chalkley wrote:
Good tip.

We currently have a service check that runs client-side on our senders (and edge receiver
which forwards downstream to other instances) that monitors forward queues. This has been
extremely helpful in the past catching "stuck" messages.

I like your suggestion and will consider implementing this when time allows.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: rsyslog <rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com> On Behalf Of Mariusz Kruk via
rsyslog
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 12:40 AM
To: rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com
Cc: Mariusz Kruk <m...@safecomp.com>
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] Is there an easy way to send a msg to rsyslog via RELP
as a Nagios check?

I'd approach it from a "functional" point of view. Have some host
generate a message periodicaly, send it via RELP to your destination
host, make a rule that outputs this message to a file and check that
file for a message written recently. This way you check the whole
process. If you send the data from the rsyslog further down to some log
management or SIEM solution, you can even check the whole process by
checking for the message on the final destination.

It has nothing to do with rsyslog itself it's just how you do such
checks - look for a string on returned web page, send an email and check
whether it gets delivered and so on.