Hi there,

I am looking into the following configuration but a bit unsure about some implementation details...

Several originators send syslog messages to a rsyslog relay which shall do the following tasks:

1) Write every log message to separate files based on hostnames.

2) Apply a few filters and send remaining syslog messages to central SIEM solution.

3) In parallel to 2) apply a different set of filters (not necessarily a superset) and write remaining syslog messages to a separate file for realtime monitoring. (I'll just tail this one.)

Concatenating steps 2 and 3 within a single ruleset is straightforward but only works under the assumption that the filters applied in 2 are a subset of the filters applied in 3.

This brings me to my questions: Is there a way to process a single syslog messages in multiple rulesets (action chains) in parallel without affecting each other? Is "call()" the right way to go, like use "call rs_siem; call rs_rtmon" inside a ruleset rs_main?

If that isn't possible what would be the best alternative to achieve this? From the top of my head I could think about sending each message twice for the two rulesets rs_siem and rs_rtmon...

Best,
Matthias

PS: Apologies if this question has been asked and answered on the mailinglist but I didn't manage to find it. Please simply point to the email thread so I can digest the info from there.