Hi,

I'm setting up centralized logging with rsyslog and RELP and I want to
secure things with TLS.

However, it's not really clear to me what TLS authentication modes
rsyslog / RELP supports?

Is server authentication only supported or is mutual authentication
always required?

The documentation tutorials set up mutual authentication with
client certificates included, but I'm not sure if that is due to
them being required or just to provide a comprehensive example.

On the imrelp documentation page at:
https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/modules/imrelp.html

Under TLS.PermittedPeer it says:
---
Peer places access restrictions on this listener.
Only peers which have been listed in this parameter may connect.
The validation bases on the certificate the remote peer presents.
---

To me it sounds like if you don't configure this, client authentication
is not required? But also...

Under TLS.AuthMode it says:
---
type   | default | mandatory
----------------------------
string | none    | no

Sets the mode used for mutual authentication.
---

This sounds like the actual setting for mutual authentication...

With this set to "none", I would assume mutual authentication is not
required?

Currently without configuring certificates on clients my TLS handshakes
are failing and now I'm unsure if it's due to TLS library issues or due to
client certificates being required?

It would be nice if mutual authentication is not required since the overhead
of creating certificates for every client is really big...