From: John Chivian <jchiv...@chivian.com>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2024 11:02 PM
To: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Cc: Ian Diddams <ian.didd...@celebrus.com>
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] [EXTERNAL] Re: imfile rsyslog config sporadic since
upgrade to ubuntu20

If a file is rotated without rsyslog’s knowledge the state file becomes out of
date.  The state file is just a high-water mark for the file and is not
guaranteed to be updated in all cases.

State files are created in the statefile.directory and are convieniently named
imfile-state* where the rest of the file name is a unique identifier that is
specific to the input file.

If a log file is truncated, and the state file does not update, rsyslog won’t
process new file content until the file reaches the previous high water size.
You can see this in the state file itself as they are simply JSON objects
containing offset values.

Our solution (for these file based instances) was to stop rsyslog, then
rotate/delete the log file, then delete the state file, then restart rsyslog.

Regards,