I had blindly copied the old RT_SiteConfig.pm into the new installation. So there were at least one crucial directive missing:

Set($WebDefaultStylesheet, '3.5-default');

Hrm.

That should be okay, since RT_Config.pm contains that exact same line (along with comments above it explaining how you can also use 3.4-compat for an RT3.4-like interface). As such, if $WebDefaultStylesheet is undefined in RT_SiteConfig.pm, RT will pick the setting up from RT_Config.pm instead.

In summary, I believe you should be able to just "copy over" RT_SiteConfig.pm without any ill effects. That's exactly what I've been doing in my RT 3.4->RT 3.6 migration efforts.

-jd