Stephen Turner wrote:
At Tuesday 4/3/2007 03:08 PM, Jason Long wrote:
Flynn, Timothy J wrote:
> What is the difference between "depended on by" vs. parent?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Tim

I'm sure this is open to interpretation...

To me, "depends" / "depended on by" indicate separate tasks that must be performed in sequence. I.e. I have to finish the one task before the other task can _start_.

And "parent" / "child" indicate composition of tasks. I.e. the child task is "part" of the parent. I say I have to finish the one task before the other task can _finish_.

My 2cents.
Jason

I believe RT enforces the "depends on" relationship - you can't resolve a ticket until its dependent ticks are resolved. I don't think there's any such enforcement for parent/child relationships. At least I think that's the right way round.

Steve
Children can outlive their parents, but you can't finish something before you finish the things it depends on.

Jeff