At Friday 4/20/2007 09:15 AM, Torbjørn Moen wrote:

Hi

By "stand alone application" I mean an application that you start on your computer and not a web interface.

I'll take a look on the REST interface either at work or when I get home, but it sounds interesting. My only concern is whether it will be able to get all the information that we need in an OK way. I would say my first concern regarding this is queue handling and updating the view of tickets in main window.

Hi Torbjørn,

You should definitely replace the direct database access with RT API calls. For one thing, not everyone uses mysql with RT, so building that dependency in is a problem.

But more importantly, even if you abstract the database interface, it's not just acls that you're bypassing by going directly to the database - it's the whole "business" logic built into RT. To make a usable app, you're going to have to replicate RT in your app. When RT changes, you're app will likely break and you'll have to replicate the RT changes in your app. It's not really a sustainable approach.

Steve