On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Martin Maurer wrote:
Hi all,

We just released a virtualization platform (GPL licensed) http://pve.proxmox.com .

On this platform, pre-build virtual appliance can be started within seconds as we use http://openvz.org here. Please note, by using OS virtualization there is little overhead (just 1 to 3 % performance loss, really!) – this is absolutely the fastest technology for Linux server virtualization. (openVZ is the basis of Virtuozzo, the commercial market leader in the VPS market).

We are also building virtual appliances for the use in the enterprise, e.g. our own mail gateway, a web filter proxy (both are commercial) or a mediawiki appliance and many others will follow in the next months. (please note, Proxmox VE is beta, but this will change soon – subscribe here for updateshttp://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Mailing_Lists )

We use and love RT since years so we want to contribute also a RT appliance – I personally know a lot of companies who wants RT but they cannot install it – too difficult. We will solve this problem.

As we are a Debian focused company, we prefer to build the appliance based on Debian Etch (32bit) and it should be using the stable RT packages, mysql or postgres (which database is preferred?).

So I would be happy if anyone can comment our plans and give us feedback. Also I would appreciate feedback from Best Practical.

That's really excellent to hear. I'm quite looking forward to seeing this. With regard to Mysql/Pg: We're pretty flexible. Is one of them more better packaged for your platform already?

As a heads up, we have something we've been working on to ease RT installation, though it's not intended as competition against a fully virtualized solution. Shipwright, our new build and distribution system is designed to let us version and build RT and a full dependency chain (currently to "just above libc") and ship source and fully relocatable platform--specific binary distributions.

Virtualization fits into a different niche than what we're working on and I suspect that your work will be a better match for many organizations. When do you expect people might be able to play with it? :)

Best,
Jesse

Thanks,

Best Regards,