From: rt-users-boun...@lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-boun...@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Sean
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 1:55 PM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Advice for New Machine

>     Can I assume your voting for Linux?

Within the context of RT I don't understand what "voting for Linux" is supposed
to mean. RT doesn't care about what kernel is running. It only cares about the
supporting software, which itself is also independent of the kernel.

Based on my experience, I believe a source-based distribution is the best way
to go, unless somebody wants to hand build every necessary component, starting
with perl and apache. That is something I considered, but the maintenance
involved with that kind of environment is not something I wanted to tackle.

I have a lot of familiarity with the portage package management system of
Gentoo, which is why I chose it. It just so happens that the Gentoo
distribution is primarily a Linux based distribution. But the running kernel
played little to no role in my choice.

I suspect using ports with a FreeBSD platform would work just as well for
someone who is familiar with ports. It's not about the kernel, it's about the
software environment. In my opinion a software environment with a source based
package management system is the best option because of all the different
software pieces required for RT to function optimally.

-Sean

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com Commercial support:
sa...@bestpractical.com