Ok I've been fighting this forever and its really starting to get to me.

I'm trying to upgrade RT and I'm at the step where I'm supposed to
upgrade the database to a certain point before applying a schema.

The command to run is:

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --prompt-for-dba-password --action
upgrade

It then attempts to connect as rt_user.  I give it the password, proceed
through the prompts and then get:

DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=localhost','rt_user',...) failed: Access
denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106

Connect Failed Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

 at /opt/rt3/sbin/../lib/RT.pm line 204

So basically, it appears that my password is incorrect, HOWEVER, I can
connect to mysql using the exact user and password.  Its almost like the
perl script is NOT taking the prompts.

Hope someone can help.

-Josh