Hi Brian,

On Mar 24, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Brian Lawson wrote:

Here’s my situation:
Our company has a group of customer service reps and my boss would rather have them share a login username and password as a group and then have a mandatory custom field for their real name and their email address. That way they (as a group) can see all the tickets for the group.

What you are describing is probably better implemented as a queue (or set of queues) with an email address. All CSRs should be in a group that has appropriate permissions on the queue so they can see/update/ steal eachother's tickets as needed. This preserves accountability (actions are attributed to individual users) which your proposed scheme above would destroy.

He wants RT to use the email address entered as the one used for any correspondence, not the address for the username.

I'm not sure I follow. Configured as I describe above messages sent from RT will come from the queue email address, and reply-to will point at the queue email address. (The typical format for the "from name" is "John Doe (via RT)", but you can change this easily).

You COULD hack around this & override the From/Reply-To addresses, but if you specify an address that rt-mailgate isn't watching then correspondence will bypass RT, which defeats the purpose of a ticketing system...

Also, we would like to do field validation on the email to make sure it is a valid email address for our mail server.
This is a moot point given the above -- just make sure your queue emails are (a) valid and (b) watched by rt-mailgate and everything should take care of itself. :)

-MG